Monday, August 20, 2007

Ahhh... that's better

Check out my best completed UFO this summer! Nearly 10 lbs of baby boy sweetness, but we call him Gavin. He was born July 28th at 10:13 AM. That's 11 days overdue, not that I was counting or anything.
Oh, and all those itty bitty newborn soakers? Yeah. Too small. (sigh) So each evening after the other munchkins are in bed and we've finished our nursing marathon, I knit a little bit for him. He's got a long torso, and despite being nearly 10 lbs, he's skinny. I'm sure being 22.5" long helps thin out a babe, huh?

I'm finding that I still need to knit newborn-sized waist/hips and just increase the rise. In order to avoid that lovely diaper plumber-crack, we need a 16" rise. I still can't believe my 3 week old infant needs a 16" rise!
These sweet pants are a size small Picky Pants, adjusted as to use the CP waistband, in WWBN Silver Rainbow-- which happens to be one of my favorite colorways. These pants have 17.5" rise and a 7" inseam. I figured if I wanted him to fit into something for more than 5 minutes, I better start knitting things a little bigger. Besides knitting pants for the Gavinator, I've been doing baby sweaters. Here's the Child's Placket sweater from LMKG. It's knit in Mosaic Moon's single-ply Merino-- uber soft and perfect for a wee one, plus, who can resist those rich colors?


After much deliberation on the buttons, I decided to skip them altogether and fold the neck band down to create a collar. I haven't actually tried this on the kid yet, so we'll see if I need to do some adjusting to make that work.

No comments: